One of the simplest ways to make use of up that yellow summer time squash! Squash Casserole is a good way to make use of up contemporary squash out of your backyard. Simple to make with a creamy, tacky filling and a crispy, buttery topping!
Want extra nice summer time veggie recipes!? Try this Butternut Squash Soup, Turkey Bolognese with Spaghetti Squash, or Roasted Zucchini Spears!
Is there something higher than contemporary backyard produce? I’ve been loving all of contemporary veggies this 12 months and have been making contemporary zucchini bread and my favourite salsa recipe like loopy. Nonetheless, this Squash Casserole is perhaps my favourite garden-borne recipe but! With a creamy, tacky base and a golden cracker high crust, this casserole dish is crunchy and creamy and the greatest approach to get your veggies!
Make Squash Casserole
- Begin by washing and slicing your squash! Make certain all slices are the identical dimension (or as shut as potential) so your casserole will prepare dinner evenly.
- Mix squash, diced onion, and a little bit of butter in a massive saucepan and prepare dinner till the squash is simply softened.
- Mix bitter cream, cheddar and parmesan cheese, 2 eggs, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a big bowl then toss in your squash and onion. Stir every thing nicely after which pour right into a 11×7″ pan.
- Make your topping! Stir collectively crushed crackers and a little bit of melted butter after which sprinkle over the squash combination.
- Bake till cooked via and topping is golden brown.
What Type of Squash Ought to I exploit for Squash Casserole?
It would be best to use yellow squash for this recipe. I don’t suggest utilizing butternut or acorn squash.
Do I Have to Peel Squash Earlier than I exploit it?
There isn’t any have to peel your squash earlier than making this casserole! Make certain to clean your squash nicely and it would be best to chop off the stem, however you do not want to peel the pores and skin. It can soften because it cooks in your skillet, after which much more because the squash casserole bakes.
Can I exploit Zucchini As an alternative of Squash?
Whereas zucchini and yellow squash aren’t all the time fully interchangeable, you can really substitute zucchini for squash on this recipe. Your squash (nicely, zucchini) casserole will nonetheless be scrumptious, it can simply be a distinct shade!
Extra Nice Summer time Recipes to Attempt:
Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook dinner Time 25 minutes
Complete Time 50 minutes
Servings 8 servings
A simple recipe for creamy squash casserole with a buttery crisp cracker topping!
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 3 lbs yellow squash sliced ¼” skinny
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- ¾ cup bitter cream
- 2 massive eggs flippantly overwhelmed
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to style
- 2 sleeves Ritz crackers crushed
- 2 Tablespoons butter melted
Preheat oven to 350F.
In a big saucepan or Dutch oven (you’ll need a variety of area so be certain that it’s massive sufficient to carry your whole squash!) soften 2 Tablespoons of butter over medium warmth.
Add sliced squash and diced onion and prepare dinner, stirring regularly, till squash is simply softened.
Take away from warmth and drain via a colander; drain as a lot extra water as potential. Let squash proceed to empty when you put together your filling.
In a big bowl, stir collectively bitter cream, eggs, cheeses, garlic powder, and salt and pepper till well-combined.
Add drained squash/onion combination and stir nicely.
Evenly pour substances into an 11×7” baking dish and put together your topping.
In a medium-sized bowl, mix crushed Ritz crackers and melted butter. Stir till well-combined.
Sprinkle cracker crumbs evenly over squash combination in casserole dish.
Switch to 350F oven and bake 25-30 minutes.
Serve heat. Get pleasure from!
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 257 Energy from Fats 180
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 12g60%
Ldl cholesterol 107mg36%
Vitamin A 992IU20%
Vitamin C 30mg36%
* % Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food plan.