This simple stovetop Hen Tikka Masala tastes similar to your favourite Indian take-out and is prepared in underneath an hour. Leftovers are even higher the following day!
Pictures Credit score:
My husband is British, and due to this fact extremely choosy about Indian meals. He bemoans the dearth of eating places that serve “correct curries” in our neighborhood.
That is why, on our annual trek again to the UK to go to his household over the vacations, we’ve began the custom of going to an Indian restaurant on New 12 months’s Eve. We skip the champagne, the sparkles, and the countdown in favor of consuming our fill of spicy curry.
In an effort to make sure that we’re not disadvantaged of Indian meals the remainder of the yr, I’m studying how you can cook dinner extra Indian dishes at residence. I’m beginning off with the quintessential British Indian dish: hen tikka masala.
What’s Hen Tikka Masala
This dish is made with hen that will get marinated in a spicy curry sauce with plain yogurt and cooked with tomatoes, spices, and extra plain yogurt. You should utilize breasts or thighs, and it’s nice served with rice.
Hen Tikka Masala vs. Butter Hen
It’s simple to confuse these two Indian dishes: they’re each hen in a creamy, tomato-based, spicy sauce. Nonetheless, Indian Butter Hen is creamier and sweeter than Hen Tikka Masala, which is spicier and extra intensely flavored. Butter hen can also be made with butter as a substitute of oil.
How you can Make Hen Tikka Masala
Make this tikka masala in just some (simple!) steps—the entire dish is prepared in underneath 45 minutes!
- Marinate the hen with yogurt. This tenderizes the hen and provides taste.
- Prepare dinner the hen.
- Make the masala sauce. This entails simmering onions, spices, and tomatoes, with slightly yogurt added on the finish for creaminess and tangy taste.
- Mix the sauce and the hen. And also you’re accomplished!
Ideas for Making the Finest Hen Tikka Masala
This simple hen tikka masala recipe requires various spices, however all of them add to the attribute deep flavors. This recipe is well worth the raid in your spice cabinet.
Listed below are few suggestions for this recipe:
- Regulate the spice! My husband and I each most popular the hen tikka masala with a half teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Nonetheless, when you choose much less spice, you’ll be able to minimize that again to only a quarter teaspoon or simply depart it out completely.
- Remember to marinate: For the most effective taste, you’ll additionally wish to marinade the hen for four to six hours, and even in a single day. This offers the meat time to totally take in the spicy marinade. Nonetheless, when you’re in a time crunch, you’ll be able to simply marinate the meat for about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Plain yogurt is finest: Keep away from utilizing Greek yogurt if doable for this recipe; common plain yogurt is finest. Greek yogurt is normally too low-fat and in addition too thick for this recipe, and might are inclined to separate when cooked.
- If Greek yogurt is all you’ll find, purchase the Greek yogurt with the best fats content material you’ll find and blend it with slightly entire milk to get the consistency of standard yogurt. This may give the sauce some insurance coverage in opposition to separating.
What to Serve with Hen Tikka Masala
Earlier than you begin cooking the tikka masala (because the cooking goes so shortly!), get a pot of rice going. Spoon the tikka masala over a scoop of rice and high with a sprinkle of cilantro!
Need one thing slightly extra particular? Attempt making Indian-Model Rice or Savory Coconut Rice!
Make-Forward and Freezing Directions
Sure! You may make the hen as much as 2 days forward of time. Cowl and refrigerate it. Dishes like this enhance when the flavors have an opportunity to meld.
Hen Tikka Masala will freeze as much as two months. Retailer in massive, zip-top freezer luggage and lay them flat within the freezer.
My husband gave this hen tikka masala recipe his seal of approval. I hope you prefer it too!
On the lookout for Extra Indian Recipes?
Up to date October 27, 2019 : We spiffed up this put up to make it sparkle! No adjustments to the unique recipe.
Hen Tikka Masala Recipe
Leftover hen tikka masala tastes phenomenal the following day as a result of the spices develop extra taste in a single day.
Keep away from utilizing Greek yogurt if doable for this recipe. If it is all you’ll find, purchase the Greek yogurt with the best fats content material you’ll find and blend it with slightly entire milk to get the consistency of standard yogurt. This may give the sauce some insurance coverage in opposition to separating.
For the hen:
- 1 1/four kilos boneless skinless hen breasts, thighs, or a mixture
- 6 tablespoons plain entire milk yogurt
- half of tablespoon grated ginger
- three cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/four teaspoons salt
For the tikka masala sauce:
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced (about 5 ounces, or 1 half of cups sliced)
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- four cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon floor coriander
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- half of teaspoon turmeric
- half of teaspoon freshly floor black pepper
- 1 (14-ounce) can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes (common crushed tomatoes work, too)
- 6 tablespoons plain entire milk yogurt
- 1/four to half of teaspoon cayenne pepper
- half of teaspoon salt
- Cooked rice, to serve
- Cilantro, to garnish
1 Put together the hen: Trim hen thighs of any additional fats. Chop into bite-sized items about half of to 1-inch large. Place the hen thigh items to a medium bowl.
Add the yogurt, ginger, garlic, cumin, paprika and salt. Utilizing your arms, mix the hen with the spices till the hen is evenly coated.
2 Marinate the hen: Cowl the bowl with plastic wrap and let the hen marinate within the fridge for no less than 45 minutes or so long as in a single day. (Marinating for four to six hours is ideal.)
three Prepare dinner the hen: In a big skillet, warmth 1 tablespoon of canola oil over medium-high warmth. Add the hen thigh items and cook dinner for about 6 to 7 minutes, till they’re cooked via. Switch to a plate and put aside.
four Toast the spices: Wipe down the pan you used to cook dinner the hen. Warmth remaining canola oil over medium warmth. Add the onions and cook dinner for five minutes, till softened, stirring typically.
Add the grated ginger, minced garlic, coriander, paprika, garam masala, turmeric, black pepper, salt, and cayenne. Let the spices cook dinner till aromatic, about 30 seconds to a minute.
5 Make the sauce: Add the crushed tomatoes to the pan with the spices and let every thing cook dinner for four minutes, stirring typically. Add the yogurt and stir to mix.
6 Simmer the sauce: Cut back the warmth to medium-low and let the sauce simmer for an additional four minutes. Add the hen items to the pan and coat with sauce.
7 Serve: Serve over cooked basmati rice and garnish with cilantro.
Good day! All pictures and content material are copyright protected. Please don’t use our pictures with out prior written permission. Thanks!
This put up might comprise hyperlinks to Amazon or different companions; your purchases through these hyperlinks can profit Merely Recipes.
Learn extra about our affiliate linking coverage.