You would possibly see lots of candy potato recipes on my weblog over the subsequent month. I wish to put a patio in our yard, so I’m decided (decided!) to win the North Carolina Candy Potato Fee’s No Extra Mallows Blogger Recipe Contest. So, having the attention of the tiger and dedication and issues like that, I made a decision to start out issues off huge by making candy potato caramels.
After I did a Google seek for “candy potato caramels recipe,” all I discovered had been a bunch of pages about Morinaga candy potato caramels, which I occurred to have purchased after we had been in Japan a couple of years in the past. Whereas they’re scrumptious, they’re not the buttery, gooey form of caramels we’re used to within the US. They form of have the feel of a Starburst with a really gentle caramel taste. I needed to make use of candy potatoes to make loopy decadent caramels. The sort that make you weak within the knees. Having by no means made caramels earlier than, I figured it might take me a couple of tries to excellent them, however I stunned myself and bought them proper the primary time by utilizing the cooking directions and proportions from this caramel recipe after which tweaking them a bit of.
I debated whether or not I ought to add cardamom or chipotle powder to my candy potato caramels, however I settled on the trio of cinnamon, ginger, and allspice as a substitute as a result of I felt that they might attraction to most palates. This mix of spices makes these caramels nearly style like candy potato casserole. (Candy potato casserole, however higher!) For a Japanese twist, omit the spices altogether and prime with black sesame seeds as a substitute. And though the identify of this recipe contest is No Extra Mallows, in the event you actually needed to, you could possibly enable the caramel to chill after which wrap it round marshmallows.
These are time-consuming and labor intensive to make, however they’re so value it. And they’re undoubtedly the form of caramels that make you swoon a bit of while you eat them.
Spiced Candy Potato Caramels
These candy potato caramels are wealthy, decadent, and sure, they actually style like candy potatoes.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook dinner Time: 1 hour
- Complete Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Yield: 36
- Four tbsp unsalted butter (plus extra for greasing the baking dish)
- 1 small candy potato, pierced with fork
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/eight tsp floor ginger
- 1/eight tsp allspice
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup gentle corn syrup
- 1/three cup maple syrup
- 1/Four cup water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- pepitas, pecans, or sea salt for garnish (optionally available)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line the underside and sides of an eight x eight inch baking dish with parchment paper. (In case you reduce a slit in every nook of the paper, lining the perimeters is straightforward—for a visible demonstration, try Lining Pans with Parchment on Good Life Eats.) Evenly grease the paper with butter.
- Place candy potato on a small baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Bake till tender, about 35–45 minutes (relying on dimension and form of potato). Permit to chill barely.
- As soon as potato has cooled, take away the pores and skin and reduce into giant chunks. Add potato items to meals processor; course of till clean and no chunks stay. Measure 2/three cup of the puree; if there’s any puree remaining, put it aside for one thing else or eat it now. It’s scrumptious!
- Switch puree to a small saucepan. Stir in cinnamon, ginger, and allspice till well-combined. Stir in heavy cream and warmth on medium, persevering with to stir. Carry to a simmer and put aside.
- In a heavy 4-quart saucepan, stir collectively sugar, corn syrup, maple syrup, and water with a wood spoon and produce to a boil over medium-high warmth. Use a heat-proof pastry brush dipped in heat water to brush sugar crystals from aspect of saucepan. As soon as combination has come to a boil, place sweet thermometer into sugar combination and proceed to cook dinner till temperature reaches 244°F (don’t stir it!). Take away from warmth.
- Regularly (and thoroughly!) add cream combination to sugar combination, stirring as your pour. The combination will bubble up at this level, so please watch out and pour the cream in slowly. Return to a boil, then scale back warmth to medium-low. Proceed cooking till combination reaches 240°F (this might take as much as 30 minutes). As temperature rises, start to stir extra steadily.
- As soon as caramel combination reaches 240°F, take away saucepan from warmth. Stir in butter and and lemon juice till well-combined. Pour into lined baking dish. (In case you’re topping your caramels with nuts, salt, or pepitas, press them into the highest of the caramel after it has cooled for about 15 minutes.) Cool to room temperature earlier than reducing into particular person items. (I reduce them into 36, however make them as huge or as small as you want!) Wrap in waxed paper and retailer in an air tight container or refrigerate.
Notice that caramels are very temperamental–an excessive amount of humidity, sugar crystals on the aspect of the pan, and even slight variations in temperature could make them too laborious, too gentle, or crystallized.