Picket reducing boards look nice; plus, they’re simple on knives, long-lasting, and when you clear them proper, extra sanitary than a plastic reducing board.
My favourite one is about 45 years outdated, a hand-me-down from my dad and mom. It’s lasted all these years as a result of my mother took excellent care of it, and now I do, too.
So, what’s one of the best ways to scrub a wood reducing board? How do you retain it from cracking? Picket reducing boards do require somewhat upkeep, but it surely all pays off. Listed here are my suggestions for the right way to clear, preserve, and situation your wood board so it’ll final for years!
HOW TO CLEAN A WOOD CUTTING BOARD: DO’S AND DON’TS
- Do wash your reducing board by hand. For those who’re simply slicing bread, you’ll be able to merely wipe it off, however for moist, sticky, or pungent meals (which is most of them), you’ll want to clean and rinse it.
- Do use liquid dish cleaning soap to clean your reducing board.
- Do wipe your clear reducing board dry, and let it end by air-drying on its aspect.
- Don’t soak a reducing board. You’ll be able to submerge it in water, however just for a fast dunk. Soaking may cause the board to warp.
- Don’t put wood reducing boards within the dishwasher. The extreme warmth and harsh chemical compounds of the dish detergent will trigger the wooden to dry out, warp, and/or crack.
- Don’t use harsh, concentrated cleaners in your reducing board.
MORE TIPS FOR CUTTING BOARD CARE
- As you prep, wipe the floor of the board incessantly with a sponge or dishcloth. This may make cleanup simpler when it’s all stated and executed.
- Wash your reducing board quickly after you’re executed utilizing it. That is so liquids, meals residue, and odors don’t penetrate the wooden. Have you ever ever sliced an apple solely to find locked-in garlic from the soup you made the day earlier than has ruined your good fruit? Steadily wiping the board as you employ it is going to maintain this from occurring.
- Sanitize your reducing board after prepping uncooked meat. Use both straight-up white vinegar or an answer of 1 1/2 teaspoons bleach in four cups of water.
- To clean up a smelly board (suppose residual onion vapors), rub a halved lemon over the floor; let it sit for a minute or two, after which wipe off the board.
- To take away cussed stains, sprinkle baking soda over a reducing board, rub with a heat, damp fabric, then rinse away any extra baking soda.
- If there’s caked-on residue, it’s okay to use an abrasive scrubbing pad, like this. It shouldn’t scratch your reducing board.
WHY YOU NEED TO OIL A WOOD CUTTING BOARD
Identical to conditioning your hair, you want to situation reducing boards to maintain them shiny and lustrous. A conditioned wooden reducing board is considerably waterproof, so it doesn’t soak up moisture, and thus fewer odors from meals.
A conditioned board can even assist defend in opposition to micro organism and maintain your reducing board from splitting and warping. Warping is unhealthy as a result of your reducing board will wobble once you chop on it, and splitting is unhealthy as a result of these little cracks harbor moisture and meals gunk, turning into pockets for micro organism.
THE BEST OILS FOR CUTTING BOARD CONDITIONING
Why use a particular oil as an alternative of what you have already got in your kitchen? A reducing board just isn’t a sauté pan or a pile of salad greens. You shouldn’t use cooking oil for conditioning your reducing boards.
The explanation? Rancidity. Even a really secure oil like coconut oil will go rancid over time. The most important drawback with that is the odor. For those who’re questioning what that’s like, go to a thrift retailer and discover an outdated wood salad bowl. Stick your nostril proper in there. It’ll in all probability stink like moist cardboard blended with a closet stuffed with stale clothes. Gross, proper? That odor is oil that’s penetrated the wooden and gone rancid.
Don’t lead your reducing boards to the identical destiny! Stick with both mineral oil or a beeswax and mineral oil mix, and also you’ll be in fine condition.
Many reducing board producers and cooks suggest food-grade mineral oil, an oil derived from petroleum, similar to Vaseline and paraffin. Take into account that you’re utilizing it to seal and situation your board, to not cook dinner with.
For those who can’t discover an possibility on-line, you may as well go to the pharmacy or grocery retailer and look within the laxative part. You’ll discover bottles of mineral oil there, as a result of mineral oil can be an old-school laxative. Because it’s taken internally, you understand it’s meals grade. A bottle often prices lower than 5 bucks and can final you years.
IMPORTANT: What you don’t need to do is use industrial mineral oil, the sort made for lubricating equipment. It’s not meals grade. Get your mineral oil from the grocery retailer or a specialty retailer, not the auto components middle.
Beeswax and Mineral Oil Board Cream
Beeswax will make a wooden reducing board shinier and extra waterproof than straight-up mineral oil. As a result of it’s not simple to rub your reducing board with a hunk of laborious wax, it’s preferable to make use of a mineral oil and beeswax board cream.
You should buy it or make your individual by melting one half grated food-grade beeswax with 4 components mineral oil by quantity. Warning: It’s messy, and you might be finest off melting the beeswax and mixing the cream within the glass jar you intend to retailer it in. Do that in a microwave on low energy, or set the jar in a pan of gently simmering water.
I primarily use mineral oil on my boards, after which board cream only a few instances a 12 months. Use no matter you’re into—the primary level is to situation the boards as typically as they want it.
Are you vegan, and avoiding beeswax? Or not into utilizing mineral oil? There are particular merchandise only for you, constituted of plant-based wax and/or coconut oil that’s been refined to maintain it from going rancid.
HOW TO OIL YOUR WOOD CUTTING BOARD
You will have:
- A clear, dry, odor-free reducing board
- Mineral oil or board cream
- A rag (items of very clear outdated t-shirts or wool socks work finest)
1 Pour the oil: Pour a small pool of mineral oil within the middle of the board, in regards to the diameter of 1 / 4. This may appear to be loads, however it may possibly soak up loads of oil.
2 Rub it in: Use the rag to rub the oil in small, round strokes. Do that everywhere in the board, together with either side and the ends. Make sure that the oil permeates all of the crevices. Maintain including extra oil, if wanted. Prop the board on its aspect so it’s upright, and let the board soak up the oil in a single day.
If utilizing a board cream, as soon as once more use a clear, lint-free rag. Dip it within the cream then work it into the wooden grain in round actions. Use a distinct rag to buff the wooden to a shine.
three Oil your wood utensils: If desired, oil your wood utensils with the now-saturated rag. Then throw the rag away or use it for dusting or furnishings sprucing.
WHEN TO OIL YOUR CUTTING BOARD
There’s no magic components for the way typically to situation your board. Have a look at your board and also you’ll know when it’s time. It’ll look dry and grayish, with a light-colored patch within the middle.
For those who completely should have a magic components, do it twice a season—eight instances a 12 months. I in all probability oil my boards as soon as a month. They get loads of use, and the extra you wash your board, the extra typically you want to oil it.
Local weather is one other issue. I want to grease my reducing boards extra typically within the winter, when the home is dry and we’re operating the heater extra typically.
If the board is badly splitting anyplace, it’s time to get one other one. Meals and moisture can get into these components and develop into micro organism farms.
BONUS: OIL YOUR WOOD SPOONS AND UTENSILS!
Ugh, furry spoons. Have you learnt what I’m speaking about? A furry spoon is a wood spoon that’s dry and feels shredded fairly than easy. Picket utensils get like that over time in the event that they’re washed in a dishwasher, or just not conditioned.
I often oil my reducing boards and wood utensils unexpectedly: board first, then instruments. It’s like giving them a loving therapeutic massage, and so they repay me by lasting for years and years and having a pleasant shine. And also you wind up with a semi-manicure whilst you’re at it.
NOT INTO THE MAINTENANCE? TRY AN EPICUREAN BOARD.
All this repairs an excessive amount of? It’s cool! For those who don’t suppose you’ll handle a wood reducing board, attempt an Epicurean reducing board. They’re constituted of reused cardboard, paper, and wooden fiber—in order that they’re mild on knives. You additionally don’t want to grease them. They’ve a good-looking look, and—better of all—they’re dishwasher-safe.
Cambria, Merely Recipes’ Product and Way of life Director, loves these boards.