This gentle salad recipe is made with recent spring berries and a lemon verbena French dressing. It’s the right manner to make use of lemon verbena from the backyard!
All I Need is Salad
We received again from Georgia on Monday night time and I’m now prepared for my subsequent trip. I feel after you journey, you’re speculated to really feel well-rested and glad, however touring solely makes me need to journey extra. I spent many of the automobile experience dwelling Googling accommodations in Hawaii and the price of airfare to the Florida Keys.
So I assume I haven’t had my fill of journey this summer season. However I did depart Georgia with my fill of fabulous desserts, courtesy of my Aunt Darlene. (You’re watching her on The American Baking Competitors, proper?!) She made mini-cheesecakes and beautiful stenciled cookies and brownies topped with gold leaf for my cousin’s marriage ceremony. Oh, and there was cake too, in fact. After which the subsequent day, we received to eat the rejects—extra cookies, extra brownies, and orange blossom macarons. So! A lot! Meals! Bingeing on sweets is all the time one of the best motivation for getting again on monitor with my weight loss plan. Once we have been leaving Savannah, I informed Chris that every one I needed was salad.
“No, for the subsequent month.”
I do know I’ve stated it earlier than, however I’ll say it once more: I’m actually choosy in relation to salads. I don’t like dressings made with dairy, iceberg lettuce makes me cringe, and uncooked tomatoes are gross. However I all the time take pleasure in salads made with recent berries. It’s like a fruit salad, visitor starring greens. I used purple and yellow strawberries from my backyard on this salad and supplemented them with fats, juicy blackberries and candy little blueberries.
After shopping for lemon verbena at Herbfest this 12 months, I discovered myself uncertain of how I may use it, apart from making cleaning soap. (After which I began singing “How do you clear up an issue like verbena?” at any time when I went outdoors to water the crops. I’ve points.) I believed I’d attempt making it right into a lemon verbena French dressing; the primary time, I chopped the verbena, however for the reason that leaves are somewhat bit poke-y, that wasn’t one of the best thought. So I ended up pureeing the dressing in my Vitamix till the leaves have been fully pulverized. The French dressing has a lemony, barely natural style, with a tart kick from the champagne vinegar—it’s not a candy dressing, however that’s okay since you’ve already received the sweetness from the berries on this salad.
Spring Berry Salad with Lemon Verbena French dressing
A light-weight salad made with a mixture of recent spring berries and a lemon verbena French dressing.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Complete Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: four servings
- 1/three cup champagne vinegar
- 1/three cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/three cup lemon verbena leaves, loosely packed
- 1 (5 oz) package deal spring combine salad greens
- 2 cup recent berries (I used purple and yellow strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries)
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- Mix vinegar, olive oil, and lemon verbena leaves in a blender. Mix on excessive till leaves are pureed into the French dressing. (For those who don’t have a high-powered blender just like the Vitamix, it’s possible you’ll need to pressure the dressing via a wonderful mesh sieve or cheesecloth.)
- Divide greens onto four plates.
- Prime every with 1/2 cup of berries and sprinkle with sunflower seeds.
- Drizzle French dressing over the salad. (There is perhaps additional—don’t really feel like it’s good to use all of it!)
My strawberries have been from the backyard, so that they have been on the small facet. For those who’re utilizing bigger ones, you’ll have to quarter or halve them.