This Jamaican Chickpea Stew recipe makes a fast and straightforward vegetarian meal with Jamaican-spiced black beans and chickpeas and served over brown rice.
Having grown up in an space the place there are extra ethnic meals eating places than American-style eating places, I’ve had an curiosity in worldwide cooking ever since I knew how you can sauté an onion. Whereas a typical teenager would frequent burger or pizza joints, my buddies and I made the rounds at our native Thai, Japanese, Mexican, and Indian eating places. Because of this, I’m all the time excited on the prospect of cooking up new-to-me meals.
After I noticed Cooking Mild’s recipe for Jamaican Rooster Stew, I immediately knew I wished to present a meatless model a shot. To me, there may be nothing extra satisfying than a flavorful stew served over scorching brown rice. Plus, I used to be keen to find out about one other worldwide delicacies. So I fired up the ol’ Google and discovered all about Jamaican meals.
In regards to the Recipe
Together with its lovely seashores, Jamaica is understood for its vibrant and flavorful meals. Jamaican delicacies is influenced by various different nations and continents, together with Spain, Africa, England, India, China, and France. A typical most important dish consists of spiced seafood or rooster with rice and beans or peas. Curries and stews made with flavorful spices are commonplace, and fried plantains are usually served alongside. Drinks are simply as enjoyable because the meals, as Jamaicans are well-known for his or her contemporary fruit juices, ginger beer, selfmade sodas, and let’s not overlook: rum!
This recipe incorporates lots of the typical flavors utilized in Jamaican cooking, however as an alternative of utilizing rooster for the stew, I made it meatless by including a can of chickpeas. I additionally omitted the capers from the inspiration recipe as a result of I didn’t have any available, and I knew the stew can be flavorful sufficient with out them.
I used to be amazed by how simple this Jamaican Chickpea Stew was to make. It requires simply two steps: sauté the onion with the spices, then simmer with the remaining components for 15 minutes. Plus, the components record is tremendous easy. Between your spice cupboard and your pantry, I’m prepared to guess you have already got the entire components available to do dinner island-style.
Jamaican Chickpea Stew
This easy, spicy, and satisfying vegetarian stew takes solely 20 minutes to whip up. Impressed by Cooking Mild’s Jamaican Rooster Stew.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Prepare dinner Time: 20 minutes
- Complete Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: four servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- four cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp floor allspice
- 1/2 tsp crushed pink pepper flakes
- salt, to style
- 1/four cup dry pink wine
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- Warmth the olive oil in a big skillet over medium-high warmth. Add the onion and garlic and sauté till the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the curry powder, thyme, allspice, pink pepper flakes, and salt; prepare dinner till aromatic, about 30 seconds.
- Stir within the pink wine, black beans, chickpeas, and tomatoes. Carry to a full boil, then scale back the warmth to medium low and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Style and add further salt if desired. Serve over brown rice.
Preparation tip: In case your rice isn’t already cooked, begin it about 15 minutes earlier than you make the stew. It needs to be prepared proper about the identical time the stew is!
This recipe was initially printed on four June 2014.