That is the third recipe on Oh My Veggies that begins with the phrases “recent corn.” I believed of some alternate names after I noticed that, however Contemporary Corn Soup with Herbed Croutons matches so a lot better. As a result of it’s recent! It’s not a heavy corn chowder. It’s a lightweight soup. Good for summer time. And it’s made with recent corn—each the kernels and the cobs. The candy broth created from simmering the cobs with thyme and water is the key to the recent taste of this soup.
And actually, recent is the most effective a part of summer time, isn’t it? I’m not a fan of the humidity or mosquitos or sunburn, however I like recent fruit and veggies. It’s so thrilling to go to the farmers market and be greeted by colourful heirloom tomatoes and strawberries as an alternative of the ocean of inexperienced that dominates in spring. (Though I like greens too!) And I’ve been loving the truth that I can get (nearly) all of the recent herbs I want from the herb backyard we put in final month.
In regards to the Recipe
I used a mixture of oregano, dill, lemon thyme, chives, rosemary, and sage within the herbed croutons for this soup, however you should utilize no matter recent herbs you may have entry to. And in the event you don’t have an herb backyard, nicely, don’t go to the grocery retailer and purchase six completely different packages of recent herbs! That might be ridiculously costly. Simply use thyme because you’ll be needing to purchase that for the broth anyway.
Oftentimes after I’m making a soup recipe that requires croutons, I skip making them. However I implore you, don’t try this with this recipe! The soup is creamy and scrumptious with out them, however the croutons are the of completion that makes all of the distinction. Between the recent corn soup and the recent herbed croutons, this recipe is the most effective of summer time (in a soup bowl).
Contemporary Corn Soup with Herbed Croutons
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Prepare dinner Time: 1 hour
- Whole Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 1/Three cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped recent herbs (any herbs will do)
- salt and pepper, to style
- 5 cups cubed bread (I used sourdough)
Contemporary Corn Soup
- 6 ears of recent corn, husked and de-kerneled (don’t discard the cobs!)
- 2 sprigs recent thyme
- 6 cups water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to style
For Herbed Croutons:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk collectively olive oil, recent herbs, salt and pepper in a big bowl. Add cubed bread to bowl and toss to coat. Switch to rimmed baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes or till baked by way of and golden brown. Put aside.
For Contemporary Corn Soup
- Place corn cobs and thyme in a big pot or Dutch oven and canopy with water. Carry to a boil, then scale back warmth to low. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Reserve 3/Four of corn kernels; puree the remainder in a blender or meals processor till utterly easy.
- As soon as broth is completed, take away cobs and thyme sprigs and pour by way of a fantastic mesh strainer right into a heat-proof bowl. Put aside.
- Return pot or Dutch oven to medium-high warmth. Add olive oil and swirl to coat. As soon as oil has heated, add reserved corn kernels. Saute 2–Three minutes or till simply starting to brown, stirring sometimes. Cut back warmth to medium. Add corn puree and prepare dinner Three minutes extra or till thickened, stirring continually. Add corn broth and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Ladle into bowls and high with a small handful of herbed croutons.
In the event you don’t use all of the croutons, retailer them in an hermetic container or zip-top bag and use them inside every week or freeze.
- Serving Measurement: About 1 cup of soup
This recipe was initially revealed on 11 June 2012.